In November of 2019, I finished a modern traditional quilt that I’m calling “Bleach Peels” here (though it was submitted under a different name to a show). This design was inspired from the popular orange peel motif, but I pushed it a bit further by adding a 1/8″ accent line on the border of the orange peel, via foundation paper piecing, using my glue-based curved foundation paper piecing technique.
During the process, I used printable stabilizer that is intended to turn into very fine batting when washed or rinsed, and unfortunately, it bled when I rinsed the blocks to remove the glue. I experimented with a few stain remover options, and ultimately applied bleach in a controlled fashion to remove the stains. The original color range of the quilt was coral to aqua, but the use of bleach altered that slightly, as some colors were affected more drastically than others by bleach.
144 blocks were created for this piece, and assembled via traditional piecing. The quilt was machine quilted on my domestic Juki machine, using Aurifil monofilament. Bright blue binding was added for a punch of color and I felt that it worked well with the color spectrum.