My mom requested a wall quilt for decoration in late 2018. I worked on the design in early 2019, and then I pieced and quilted it in March of 2019. She looked through some of my designs (both of completed quilts and private designs), and picked a design she liked. She didn’t like the original colors of the design, so together we tweaked the colors to find something she liked.
My original plan was to digitally print the design and quilt it on my longarm, but the piecing was simple enough that I decided to piece it. It was pieced with a mix of solids from my stash and Riley Blake basic stripes using Aurifil 50 weight thread. I loaded the quilt up on my Juki 2200 QVP longarm and quilted dense straight lines in different sections throughout the quilt top, using Aurifil 40 weight white thread. I finished it with pieced binding.
My mom also enjoyed watching the progress on Instagram, except for the part about me burning my arm with an iron while making it. See below for progress photos!
[instagram-feed type=hashtag hashtag=”#stephskardalquiltsmar2019″ cols=”3″ num=”12″]