Aurifil Artisan Challenge: November 2019
I was really excited to try cork out for the first time, pairing it with one of my Aurifil monofilament quilted panels made from 1" scrappy strips, leftover from a quilt I finished over a year ago. I selected the Myrna pattern from Sallie Tomato. Because much of my fabric was quilted and stabilized, I didn't use as much interfacing as the pattern called for. I used Aurifil 50wt thread for most of the assembly, and used Aurifil 40wt thread for top stitching. I used the following hardware from Sallie Tomato in Gunmetal:
The pattern assembly was straightforward and I had no problems except when my sewing machine was a little grumpy going through multiple layers. If I made it again, I would probably tweak just a couple of things to smoothly sew through multiple layers (specifically on the zipper casings and strap connectors). And while I love the cork, the pattern is written to have a raw finish on cork, and I might modify that because I would prefer a non-raw finish. Outside of those little tweaks, I loved how the hardware and fabric choices came together. I absolutely would recommend Sallie Tomato hardware, but especially the zipper tape because it was easy to work (once you figure out how to load the zipper pulls!) with and is so versatile.